del.icio.us

Latest Posted Articles

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

football and Armstrong

First, an article about new U. of Miami football head coach Randy Shannon and his strict rules for the team. Some of them, like no guns, seem kind of obvious to me, but I guess they're not. I think that his rules would probably be good for any team, college or pro. It would help solve a lot of the behavior problems, that's for sure. Here's the article: http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10281262.

Here's an article about the Virginia Tech football team taking it upon themselves to help the college community to heal after the shootings there last April: http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AoBORtOp907MxHKw5f__qyN.T4h4?slug=ap-virginiatechschallenge&prov=ap&type=lgns.

Next, an article about the Colts hosting a group of kids from Indiana Children's Wish Fund last Saturday. The kids all face life-threatening illnesses, and their wish was to see the Colts at training camp. Here's the article: http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=6886914.

Here's an article about free agent Pacer Darrell Armstrong hosting a kids basketball camp to raise money for his foundation for premature babies. Two of Armstrong's three kids were born premature, so it's a cause near to his heart. Here's the article: http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070804/SPORTS04/708040473/1088/SPORTS04.

The last articles are the transcripts from some of the Pro Football Hall of Fame enshrinement speeches and the speeches of their presenters. They're all good to read through. The first one is from former Cowboys wide receiver Michael Irvin. Here's a quote from his speech, talking about how he and his fellow hall-of-famers and their families:

And then I met their wives and their families and I realized that it's not only about the gift God gave us, but equally important is the help that God gave us. It's the people that God put in place to support us on our journey. ...

Here's the transcript: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/halloffame07/news/story?id=2961687.

The next Hall-of-Fame speech transcript is from former Oilers/Titans offensive lineman Bruce Matthews, a Christian. Here's a quote from his speech:

I'd first like to say how honored and blessed I am to be here. If someone had told me when I was a kid that one day I would play in the NFL and let alone be inducted in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, I wouldn't have believed them. I consider it an honor and a privilege to be standing up here today, and I'd like to thank the Lord Jesus Christ for blessing me and my family so much.

As much as I'd like to take credit for everything that's happened in my career, I know it was only because of how the Lord blessed me that I was able to accomplish what I did. My part was the easy part: just go out and use the talents and abilities God gave me. God blessed me with the size, the desire to play the game. He kept me injury free and brought many wonderful coaches and players into my life, and for this I'm very thankful.

Here's the transcript: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/halloffame07/news/story?id=2961666.

Another Hall-of-Fame speech is from former Lions tight end Charlie Sanders. Here's a quote from his speech:

Thank you. First of all, let me give thanks to my Lord and savior, Jesus Christ, and his graciousness that I humbly stand before you here today.

I've always believed that God had a plan for me, and that my life was written long before I would ever realize the outcome. ...

Here's the transcript: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/halloffame07/news/story?id=2961658.

Also, the enshrinement speech of former Bills runningback Thurman Thomas. Here's a quote from him about his kids:

My 10 year old sweet little Annika Lee. We wanted a boy so bad that we were blessed again with another girl. All I can say is thank you, God, for giving us that little girl. She is growing up to be just as lovely and beautiful as her sister. Annika Lee, I love you baby.

Last but not least we decided to give it one more try. We prayed hard and we finally got our little man, Thurman III. He is everything that we had dreamed for, a blend of all five of us. Little Thurman, daddy loves you, man. Alright.


Here's the transcript: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/halloffame07/news/story?id=2961680.

The last Hall-of-Fame speech transcript is from former Cardinals cornerback Roger Wehrli. Here's a quote from the end of his speech:

Finally, many of you know me as a man of faith. I believe that God has guided each and every move I've made. He's put the right people in the right places to bring me here, and I thank Him with all my heart for taking a little guy from a little town with little dreams and making me fit to wear the title of Hall of Famer.

Thank you all very much and God bless.

Here's that transcript: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/halloffame07/news/story?id=2961670.

No comments: