del.icio.us

Latest Posted Articles

Monday, October 1, 2007

basketball, NFL, MLB, and Petty

Hi. First, an article about Heat guard Dwayne Wade helping to get the word out about the importance of recess at school. Here's a quote from him:

"I've been extremely fortunate and blessed to work with people who've helped me along the way, so I've made it a priority to give my time and energy back to young people whenever I have the opportunity," said Dwayne Wade, Miami Heat guard and 2006 NBA Finals MVP, who has signed on to serve as the national spokesperson for Rescuing Recess.

Here's the article: http://www.nba.com/news/wade_cartoon_070924.html?rss=true.

Here's a Q & A article with Steelers safety Troy Polamalu, a Christian. Here's a quote from the article:

Cole: How hard is it to get time at home during the season? I know guys like (Miami Dolphins linebacker) Zach Thomas stay at the facility until very late studying film and (Indianapolis Colts quarterback) Peyton Manning is watching film at home.

Polamalu: First of all, I'm a Christian so my prayer life really comes first. Second of all, I'm a husband so my wife comes before anything else. If I have time to do anything else after that, I do it, but I don't sacrifice any time with her.

Cole: A lot of guys do it the other way around. Football comes first. They say family and faith come first, but they really do the football first. How do you reconcile it?

Polamalu: It's really easy for me. I love my faith and I know that's first. …. I really think I know what's important in my life and that's my faith and my wife.

Cole: So football is a really focused activity. There's no wasted time, right?

Polamalu: Actually, it's a lot of fun and it's something I enjoy. It's not like when I'm here it's business time and then there's family time. Football is, for me, it's something I do. It's like for you, you're a reporter. It's what you do, not who you are. Football does not define me. How I am with my faith and how I treat my wife is what truly defines you as a man. That is my goal in life to live that way and believe in it. It would be cowardly of me to say that I enjoy my time with my faith and my wife if I really didn't spend that time with them.


Here's the article: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AtrZ9jkJomfqeWtAbDroov05nYcB?slug=jc-tuesdayconversation092507&prov=yhoo&type=lgns.

Next, an article about the New York Giants having a wounded Army officer come talk to the team to get the team fired up. Lieutenant colonel Greg Gadson, a Christian, spoke with the Giants the night before their game September 23rd against the Redskins at the request of friend, West Point classmate, and Giants receivers coach Mike Sullivan. The speech got the Giants going, as they beat the Redskins that Sunday for their first win after two losses to start the season and then went on to beat the Eagles last night too. Here's the article: http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10371676/2.

Here's another article about Washington (Indiana) High School senior basketball player Tyler Zeller, a Christian, after his official recruiting visit to IU. He still has yet to visit Purdue and Notre Dame, as far as I know, after having already visited North Carolina too. Here's the article: http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070925/SPORTS0203/709250383/1069/SPORTS0601.

Also, an article about Braves pitcher John Smoltz, a Christian, being named the winner of the Branch Rickey Award for humanitarian service: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3035785.

Here's an article about former NBA player Corliss Williamson retiring from the NBA to take an assistant basketball coaching job at Arkansas Baptist College: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3036363.

Next, an article about how much success and fun that Braves 1st baseman Mark Teixeira, a Christian, has had since coming to the Braves from the Rangers on July 31st. Here's a quote from him about his success:

"I have to give credit to my teammates," he said. "The guys have been unbelievable. I've been getting good pitches to hit. It's great to be doing it in a playoff race."

Here's the article: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070926&content_id=2230527&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb.

Here's an article about NASCAR driver Kyle Petty and his wife Patty, both Christians, talking about starting another Victory Junction Gang Camp in Kansas City to go along with the one that they already have in North Carolina. The camp is for seriously ill children. Here's the article: http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/rumors/post/Pettys-consider-kids-camp-in-Kansas-City;_ylt=Ah7ttGQP8R.0LPDkJ32Ebb1.T4h4?urn=nascar,47300.

Lastly, an article about Saints quarterback Drew Brees and his wife Brittany donating $2 million to his alma mater Purdue to build an student athlete academic center there: http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070928/SPORTS0602/709280667/1247/NLETTER12.

No comments: