del.icio.us

Latest Posted Articles

Friday, January 12, 2007

Past sports misc.

Hi. First, I've added some new Christian sports websites and Christians in sports websites. The Sharing the Victory Magazine and BP Sports links have more articles about Christians in sports. Also, I think that I've finally finished adding Christian artists links. I hope that you enjoy the new links!

Here's some more past articles from October. First, there was an article about the Seahawks Shaun Alexander in last November's Guideposts. I'm unable to access the article on their website (without paying to access their archives), but there was a little about him in the "Living Room" section at the back of the magazine. Here's the link: http://www.guidepostsmag.com/familyroom/November2006/.

Here's an article about John Wodden, a Christian, having a post office near his home named after him on his 96th birthday last October: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2625510.

Next, an article about then Padre, now Astro, Woody Williams, a Christian, and his dealing with a tragedy in his family: http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/padres/20061009-9999-1s9padside.html.

Here's a Q & A article about the Braves Jeff Francoeur. Here's some quotes:

Q: What was your personal highlight this season?

A: One is definitely my walk-off grand slam against the Nationals [May 13], which was really cool. But probably the personal highlights for me happened after both of my grandfathers passed away during the season. The day we buried my one grandpa down here, my mom's dad, I hit a home run against the Reds that night to put us up 2-1 in the eighth inning [a game-winner, July 8]. Just a week-and-a-half ago, my other grandpa died and I hit a home run that night vs. the Nationals in Washington. It's so amazing how that works out. How good God is to be able to do that with my whole family watching, during a time like that. Even though it doesn't compare to a death, there's something to give them to smile about....

Q: What was your biggest bummer personally?

A: The way I started the season, obviously. But at the same time, it was almost a blessing in disguise. I'm a lot better for it now, mentally tough. It got me definitely prepared to go out the rest of the year and play hard....

Q: When was it the hardest to get back out there?

A: Probably the day I fouled one off my calf muscle three weeks ago against the Phillies. I wasn't quite sure if I could play the next day. Then the other time was when I ran into Nick Johnson, messed up my shoulder and my back a little bit, I wasn't quite sure. With the help of God, I was able to get up the next morning. I think Bobby was actually going to give me the day off. I called him on the way to the park and told him I was ready to go, if it was OK, I'd like to be in there. I'm glad he did. I hit a three-run home run that day against the Nationals....


Q: What's the coolest opportunity you've gotten because you're a Brave?

A: Smoltzie [teammate John Smoltz] and I are going to speak to the [Fellowship of Christian Athletes] of Augusta County schools in November and then we're going to play Augusta [National]. I was supposed to play it last year and I got my eye infection and couldn't play. I'm dying to play it.

Here's the article: http://www.ajc.com/services/content/sports/braves/2006/10/05/gwxfrancoeur1005.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=21.

Also, a quote from Tigers manager Jim Leyland after the Tigers beat the Yankees to advance to the ALCS:

"Maybe in some ways the good Lord was looking after us," Leyland said, "because I think it was probably a little bit of a bonus for us to have to only beat the Yankees three times instead of four."

Here's the article: http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20061007&content_id=1703767&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb.

No comments: