del.icio.us

Latest Posted Articles

Sunday, August 19, 2007

football, MLB, & NBA

First, an article on Colts back-up safety Matt Giordano, a Christian, on the upcoming season Here's a quote from Giordano:

“It’s something I really am trying to do, to be great strong safety and a great free safety in this defense. Hopefully, Lord willing, no one will go down, but if something like that happens, I can step in and play both spots. Coaches don’t have to worry.

“They can know and trust I know what I’m doing and I’ll get the job done.”

Here's the article: http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=24c64c76-9e97-43ab-b7c7-9d75fbb59021.

Here's a Christian article on former Maryland quarterback Sam Hollenbach, who is trying to catch on with a NFL team. Right now he's waiting on God has for him in football or not. Here's the article: http://www.bpsports.net/bpsports.asp?ID=5647.

Next, an article about Devil Rays shortstop Ben Zobrist, a Christian. He was trying to once again prove himself as the Rays starting shortstop, after he lost the job earlier this season and was sent down to Triple-A Durham. Unfortunately last night, after this article was written Zobrist strained his right oblique and was put on the disabled list, possibly for the rest of the season. Here's a quote from him from the article about his trying to earn the shortstop job:

Zobrist is a devout Christian, which has prompted some to question his competitiveness. He smiled when asked if his faith has made him any less of a competitor.

"In my life, I've been the most competitive person to myself -- against myself," Zobrist said. "And that's been my worst enemy at times. So I can't really look around at other people and make my comparison based on what other people are doing. I've got to know inside that I'm giving it everything I can, and that I can be satisfied at the end of the day because of that. People can say what they want, and they can have their opinions and they're certainly entitled to that, but that should not affect what I do."

Zobrist said he's learning that he can't control everything.

"It's a simple truth, but sometimes, it takes us longer to figure out than others," Zobrist said. "But I'm learning that God is a lot more in control than I thought."


Here's the article: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070815&content_id=2149962&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb.

Here's an article about 76ers guard Kevin Ollie, a Christian, who recently hosted a golf tournament to raise money for athletes with disabilities. Other NBA players in the tournament were Celtics guard Ray Allen, Boston Celtics TV analyst Donny Marshall, former NBA player Aaron McKie, and Sonics guard Mike Wilks. Here's the article: http://www.nba.com/sixers/features/kevin_ollie_golf_070814.html?rss=true.

Also, an "interesting" Q & A article with Kings forward Ron Artest and his trip to Kenya to help others. Here's a quote from him about it:

You've been back for two weeks, have you had a chance to reflect on your trip to Kenya?"

It made me think of how good we have it over here, but at the same time it made me appreciate life. I got a chance to see the soul of the African American and I also got a chance to see tribes that still live like they did 400 years ago. I feel like whatever God gives you [you should be grateful for] or how ever you may be living now—some people think they are struggling in America—but they are not really struggling until they see what it's like over there. At the same time, the tribes live in what we would say is poverty, but they don’t consider it poverty. ... It made me appreciate life."

Here's the article: http://www.nba.com/kings/features/Ron_Summer_2007.html?rss=true.

Lastly, an article about the New Mexico State football wearing pink socks and their coaches will wear pink shirts during their game September 29th to help raise money breast cancer. The head coach Hal Mumme's wife June overcame the disease a few years ago. Here's the article: http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stories/081507abq.html.

No comments: